Hi Rob

2009/2/5 Robert Koberg <r...@koberg.com>:

> On Feb 5, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>
>>> From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.paw...@gmail.com]
>>> Subject: TC6 ${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/web.xml Is this the place
>>> to constrain the mime type?
>>>
>>> I want to 'reject' (if that's the right word) any http get
>>> with mime type != application/xml
>
> The client doesn't send the mime-type it is requesting. It sends some set of
> types it is willing to accept. For example:
>
> accept=text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml
>
> Why not just always send XML? or if they don't have an accept entry for
> application/xml the send and error with status code 406:

Tks for that. (I said my knowledge of http was 'limited' :-)
 Let me rephrase my request.

Unless the client requests application/xml I want to refuse the
request.

> "406 Not Acceptable
>
> The resource identified by the request is only capable of generating
> response entities which have content characteristics not acceptable
> according to the accept headers sent in the request.

Turned round to this format, that response seems incorrect Rob.
What should I respond with when the 'customer' (client) says
please give me xxxx (and I don't want to - my definition of an
inappropriate request)

> Unless it was a HEAD request,

<grin/> Let me resolve the simple ones first please!

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.