Thanks Andre. That paints a good picture!

Only generality I'd like to add. The "general purpose" of my-app web.xml and
'all apps' web.xml. Is it TC 'configuration' (Chaz isn't going to like
that, but I
do like an overview, even if it's only 80%). I'm saying config, since
it provides
response mime types, params etc.

2009/2/5 André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com>:

> Part 4 :
> By some incredible clever setup, that default web.xml happens to contain a
> table of Mime mappings, telling the default servlet that if what it has to
> return this time is some file ending in ".jpg", it should include a HTTP
> header "Content-type: image/jpeg"  (so that the browser would know how to
> handle this correctly). Or if the file ends in ".xls", it should return a
> header "Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel" (or something like that).(*)

Question: Using your analogy of 'my-app' web.xml being used first, then
falling back on 'all-apps' web.xml, can I add 'specials' in the list of mime
type? I'm thinking of application/atom+xml

> So, in other words, if you change something in these Mime mappings, chances
> are that your Tomcat is going to start returning images while telling the
> browser they are Word documents, and things like that which make for an
> entertaining display in the web browser.

I'm looking at a mc - mc service, so I'm not expecting browsers.

> Which is probably not what you want.
>
> (Proudly, based on recent teaching by Chuck. Have I got it right, Chuck ?)
>

> (*) Of course if the browser is IE, it doesn't matter anyway, because IE
> will not believe what the server tells it and do its own thing.

<grin/> If the browser is IE I'll .... No I won't.

Thanks Andre.
Nice and clear.
(Note the comment about Chaz in the background :-) "Close enough"!

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.