Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

That was already specified: the OP wants to compile servlets; nothing beyond a
JDK is needed.

 - Chuck
Everything said about J2EE, classpaths etc is perfectly correct.

However, the other thing the OP said was that they want to use Eclipse on a Mac. To build web applications with eclipse the best thing to do is to install the appropriate web development add-ons - we use the Web Standard Tools (WST) options.

This is best installed using the software updates option within Eclipse. After having done that and configured a local tomcat installation as a 'Server' within Eclipse you are, as they say, "good to go" and all you need to do is to select a new Dynamic Web Project when creating a new project.

Eclipse then takes care of all the library and classpath issues.

There is no need to download or install anything other than a binary tomcat, eclipse and then, within that, eclipse WST (or the combined package in the first place.)

Let me just add that the above is an abridged summary to try to get the OP on the right path, not to start a long flame about the advantages and disadvantages of eclipse!

Regards

Alan Chaney