> But if you have only one Tomcat to send requests to, then all this tells
you is that this Tomcat is not responding.  So now what do you do ?

  In this case, I want apache to treat the request as DECLINED by mod_jk, so
that if we put some static content in apache at this place, it will be
served at least until tomcat is ready again.
  Which means, if we can test tomcat's availability before sending it the
actual request, we can DECLINE the request if necessary, and thereby apache
will serve it if it can.