André Warnier wrote:
> Ken Bowen wrote:
>> I think  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Classloader   was intended
>> -- a reasonable starting point, with further references.
>>
> Thanks all. That was a good starting point.
> Still not wanting to delve too deep into internals, but having read this:
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/ClassLoader.html
> and this:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html
> and quoting from a previous post on this list :
> "The servlet spec states that jars are to be placed in WEB-INF/lib, so
> that's what Tomcat implements; if the developer wants something beyond
> that, a custom classloader is what's needed."
>
> Now, if I wanted to do as suggested, so as to give "my webapp" a
> classloader that will first look in some directory of my choice, prior
> to looking into all the normal places, how would I, generally
> speaking, go about it ?
>
> I would (I guess) first attempt to locate the basic webapp classloader
> class source of what Tomcat uses as a generic webapp classloader; then
> I would either extend it, or make my own parallel version and compile
> it into a .class file.
> Then where would I put this .class file so that Tomcat notices and
> uses my classloader for my webapp, rather than using its own ?
> Putting my classloader class in the WEB-INF/classes of my webapp
> sounds a bit like a circular argument, no ?
> On the other hand, putting it in some area of the Tomcat common lib
> would make it be picked for all webapps, which is not what I want
> either.  So how does that part work ? (very generically, I am not
> really going to write my own classloader yet).

This has been discussed on the list before, but not in a while...
Taking a quick look at Google w/ the phrase "tomcat custom classloader",
I found
http://www.nabble.com/Adding-custom-class-loader-to-webapp---td20555683.html
which at least offers hints on how to do it w/ tomcat 6.

I'm sure there are other search results in that list which offer more help.

--David