On 27.02.2009, at 17:38, Christopher Schultz wrote:

Chuck,

From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org] Subject: Re: Request
not forwarded to login page with security-constraint after session
time-out

The spec is clearer than that. The "*" role == all roles defined in
web.xml.

Yes, but what it's not clear about is what happens when there are
*no* roles defined in web.xml, which is the situation the OP has.

It's worse than that: he has no roles table defined, so he gets
SQLExceptions during authorization.

[OT]
Yes, indeed.
I had expected that Tomcat would handle this more gracefully. I find it odd that JDBCRealm does try to run a query against the role table without checking first if one has even been defined. This is particularly annoying because the <Realm> tag in context.xml cannot be validated against a DTD or schema -> from a configuration point of view I'm not required to define it.

Regards,
Marcel

--
Marcel Stör, http://www.frightanic.com