motit,

will it possible to tomcat to compile jsps without a jdk?
tomcat and a jre has ever been discussed here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tomcat.apache.org/msg50300.html

hope this help

supareno
Hi, According to Tomcat bin/service.bat file, the environment variable JAVA_HOME needs to be existed, otherwise the service is not installed. The problem is that I want to use only the JAVA JRE installation (1.6.0,
update 12) on that machine. I manually add the bin/server folder to that JRE
(it comes only with the Client folder :-( ( As known, Tomcat required only
the JRE). I tried to change all the JAVA_HOME references in the server.bat to JRE_HOME
(as required by Tomcat in order to run with only the JRE), and even added
--JavaHome to be %JRE_HOME%. I haven't seen any problems with the changes I did: the service was
installed successfully, everything seems to run OK. But I don't know if
there might be problems with what I did. There is a line in the service.bat: set
PR_JVM=%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll I changed it to be set
PR_JVM=%JRE_HOME%\bin\server\jvm.dll. I don't know if I use --JavaHome %JRE_HOME% - then what is the value of
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll ? I don't have such a folder... Does
tomcat6.exe uses JAVA_HOME? Can it leave with JRE_HOME? Will my changes
work? Thanks.