Hi Chris,

Thanks for bringing up these concerns.

I did a more detailed analysis of our application. Though it keeps 5GB
of session data in RAM which are actually disk backed, the active
session data will only account for a maximum of 200MB per second. So I
am only required to persist this much data in DB every second.

Going with the in-memory session replication will require 10GB of RAM
on both the tomcat instances. When the session data gets replicated to
another node, it gets written on disk of the other node too. Its a
Wicket application, and I can't just get away with replicating the
disk based session data :-(

If I go with persisting sessions in DB, my RAM requirement drops to
only 5GB on the cost of more network traffic and 200MB of DB writes
per second. We plan to use an NDB cluster for that. But only issue is
that Tomcat doesn't persist sessions to DB synchronously as is the
case with in-memory replication where session data is first replicated
and then the request gets served. So if master fails, and the session
data has not been persisted, subsequent requests going to the other
tomcat node will see old session data from DB, and might frustrate the
*user*.  I would like to know how synchronous persistance of session
data with Tomcat is done in practice.

Thanks,
Amit

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Christopher Schultz