Dear Paul,

... the time period that tomcat spends honouring current requests when the
server is shutdown?

We have a web app used for secure file transfers and occasionally we need to take it down, however some requests for downloads can take more than an hour
as the system allows very large files to be uploaded.

I know tomcat will stop taking new requests when the server is stopped, but
what would be good would be to set a parameter saying fully honour all
current requests before you completely finish (tomcat may already do this I
am not sure).

Tomcat does not do this out of the box. Since you have special requirements, you could program this yourself.

You could write a servlet that shuts down the HTTP connector using JMX. I am not 100% sure that that will not kill the running threads, but you can easily test that. Here is some code to access the connector and stop and start it. http://java-monitor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169 Accessing the Tomcat server to kill it is a matter of finding the right mbean and method to invoke. You can use jconsole to examine the mbeans in your Tomcat server.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkos...@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Rule 1 for being in a hole: stop digging.