From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:52:29 PM
Subject: RE: Tracking down OOM - PermGen using jmap and jhat

> From: Darryl Pentz [mailto:djpe...@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Tracking down OOM - PermGen using jmap and jhat
>
> I tried using JConsole's GC button, but
> clearly this didn't do the trick.

Did clicking the button run a major GC (aka PS MarkSweep)?

Are any classes at all being unloaded?  (Look at the Classes tab in JConsole.)

> -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

That's actually not very big.

> So the issue right now is a plan of attack to properly unload
> classes in order to expose the likely culprit.

The culprit is what's keeping the classes from being unloaded.

Here's a short tutorial you might want to look at:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-VM/html/memleaks.html

- Chuck

attachments from all computers.