If you have written a client/server application with both the client and the
server in the same jar, you have an architecture problem.  You "should"
separate out the API into its own jar, and call that.

But changing code takes time.  If the server code is never called from the API,
all you lose by putting a copy of the jar in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib is some
storage space.

                - Peter