I've just wasted about a couple of hours sorting out an issue with Vmware server 2 and tomcat and I thought I'd pass it along, hoping to save someone else a small piece of frustration.

I've been setting up a new development workstation (CentOS 5.2) and switched to using vmware server 2 (because version 1 is now moribund).

Version 2 uses a web interface which is apparently 'served' from a local tomcat instance. Yay tomcat! However, in their infinite wisdom vmware have changed the default http and https ports from 8080 and 8443, but left the startup port at 8005 and the mod-jk port at 8009, and, what's more, not provided any way to change it.

I spent some time looking to see whether these were configurable, but I found nothing, apart from a rather snotty message on the vmware bulletin boards stating that they didn't think that you should run a server on the same platform as a vmware setup which is odd, because A. I do in production all the time and it works fine and B. haven't they heard of development environments? I don't know about other people but I have all sorts of servers running on my workstation when I'm testing and debugging things.

I found the vmware 'local' tomcat installation (6.0.16) and obviously you can edit the startup and mod-jk ports there, but then also obviously it stops working unless you can edit the 'other end' as it were and that doesn't appear possible. I hunted through all the available configuration files but the values must be hard-coded.

So it seems that you must reconfigure any other local tomcat(s) on the same machine to use (a) different startup port(s).

Hope that someone, someday, finds this helpful. I'd be interested if someone else finds out more about this.

Alan Chaney