Oscar,

On 3/27/2009 10:35 AM, Je suis la poubelle wrote:
> 1. In those mentioned web pages, I noticed that none of them explicitly
> specified the following HTML header:
> <head>
> </head>

That's because setting a META tag that doesn't match reality is not
really a good idea. I can set the charset to shift-js in the META tag
but it doesn't mean the page is actually in Japanese.

> And what if another encoding is specified in HTML header, say
> ISO-8859-1?  Which one would the browser use in priority?  Nobody knows the
> answer!

Actually, everybody knows the answer, because it's published in the HTML
specification: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#h-5.2.2

"
To sum up, conforming user agents must observe the following priorities
when determining a document's character encoding (from highest priority
to lowest):

   1. An HTTP "charset" parameter in a "Content-Type" field.
   2. A META declaration with "http-equiv" set to "Content-Type" and a
      value set for "charset".
   3. The charset attribute set on an element that designates an
      external resource.
"

> That's why I specify the encoding in both places.

While it's not a terrible idea to specify the encoding in both places,
you should consider the possibility that the META tag can be wrong.

> 2. To make things easier for myself, I always save JSP files in UTF-8
> encoding, and I always put this header as well:
> <%@ page pageEncoding="utf-8" %>
> Now everything's in UTF8 from A to Z.

If you're following guidelines for i18n, you'll put your non-ASCII
strings into property files and won't have to worry about the encoding
of the JSP source file.

> String sUTF8  = new String(sWrongEncoding.getBytes("iso-8859-1"), "UTF8");

I think that should be "rightString", not "sUTF8", since the String
object has no inherent encoding.

- -chris

PS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_the_grouch