> From: Dan Armbrust [mailto:daniel.armbrust.l...@gmail.com]
> Subject: And even further into the black magic of logging configuration
> within tomcat...
>
> So, why didn't log4j try to find the log4j.properties
> file for the second webapp?

Verify that you have separate log4j.properties files in the WEB-INF/classes
directories of each webapp, and that there's not a permissions problem with
them being accessed by whatever userid Tomcat is running under.

> There is definitely a bug here, but I don't know if the
> bug is in Tomcat or in Log4j.

Where is your log4j.jar located?  You should have separate ones in each
webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory; if you place log4j.jar in Tomcat's lib
directory - or anywhere the common, system, or bootstrap class loaders could
find it - you may well end up with the symptoms you're observing.  You could
try -verbose:class to see where classes are being loaded from, if you want to
wade through a whole lot of output.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.