> From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: CLOSE_WAIT and what to do about it
>
> Looking at that code above, it is obvious that "socket" is open, until
> it is set to null, without previously doing a socket.close().
> I don't know Java enough to know if this alone could cause that socket
> to be lingering until the GC, but I kind of suspect so.

For not being that familiar with Java, you've done an admirable job of tracking
this down.  What you've found certainly looks like the cause of the problem;
the class you encountered appears to be a wrapper for a plain java.net.Socket,
and whoever wrote it simply missed putting in a socket.close() call.  Perhaps
this was originally developed on an older JVM with more frequent
non-generational garbage collection, so the problem wasn't noticed then.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.