> From: Vinay Nagrik [mailto:vnag...@gmail.com]
> Can someone explain to me the basic difference between httpd
> and tomacat serer.  What one can do so the other can not do.

Apache httpd can serve static content over HTTP.  It can have modules plugged
in (CGI, perl, PHP) to serve various kinds of dynamic content.  It has many
modules, and very flexible configuration options.  It is written in C and needs
to be compiled for each platform.  It cannot serve Java servlet content; for
that you need a Java servlet container, which you can connect to it in various
ways.

Apache Tomcat is a Java servlet specification-compliant servlet container.  It
can serve static content over HTTP.  It has built-in facilities for serving
Java servlets, and requires no modules to do this.  It has relatively few
modules, and some configuration has to be done in code where Apache httpd
allows configuration through files.  It is written in Java, and portable to any
platform able to run a (sensible) Java virtual machine.  It can be connected to
Apache httpd in various ways so that httpd can appear to serve servlet content.

> And why do we need these two servers in the first place.

Because httpd doesn't serve Java servlets (and Tomcat doesn't serve perl and
PHP efficiently, though it's pretty good at static content).  Even if httpd did
everything, someone would write a "pure Java" web server and servlet container,
because Java developers are like that :-).

                - Peter