> From: Dave Filchak [mailto:sub...@zuka.net]
> Subject: Re: Configuration help with tomcat connectors

>     <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="test.mydomain.net">
>         <Host name="test.mydomain.net" appbase="webapps"

It's not necessary to change the <Host> name (or the defaultHost) if you only
have one <Host> element, so I'd recommend changing both back to localhost.  You
only need multiple <Host> names if you are serving multiple domains that have
separate sets of webapps.

>         <Context path="" docBase="webapps/ROOT/"/>

The above must be removed, for several reasons: 1) it is incorrect, since a
relative docBase is relative to the <Host> appBase, so it should have been just
"ROOT"; 2) it is redundant, in that any directory under the appBase directory
will automatically be considered to be a context; and, 3) putting <Context>
elements in server.xml is strongly discouraged.  Any <Context> elements (if
needed at all) belong in the webapp's META-INF/context.xml file, or in
conf/Catalina/[host]/[appName].xml.  Get rid of it.

>         <Logger classname="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"/>

The above is not useful - <Logger> elements have not been used in Tomcat for
several years.

> So, it obviously is not mounting the /examples directory (but
> perhaps this is not possible? Does it have to be a WAR file?).

No, webapps can be either .war files or directories.

> WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host} Setting
> property 'appbase' to 'webapps' did not find a matching property.

The above is due to the invalid <Context> element in server.xml.

> WARNING:   No rules found matching 'Server/Service/Engine/Host/Logger'.

The above is due to the invalid <Logger> element in server.xml.

> INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
> performance in production environments was not found on the
> java.library.path:

The above is ignorable.  You can install APR primarily for improved SSL
performance; but if you're front-ending Tomcat with httpd, you should have
httpd handle the SSL as well.

> I believe I am understanding the theory and think I am close on the
> actual setup but I am surely missing something here. I think it must be
> the JkMount settings or some other setting I have missed.

Can you access the Tomcat examples and other webapps distributed with Tomcat
via port 8080?  If so, then the Tomcat installation is working, and it's just
the mod_jk config that's wrong.  Again, if you don't really need httpd, why are
you making your life more difficult (and impacting performance) by trying to
use it?

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.