2009/5/10 johnrock <johnpi...@yahoo.com>:

> I am setting up a CentOS 5 server running tomcat and wanted to know whether
> the best practice is to leave the Tomcat logfiles in their default location:
>
> /usr/share/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/logs
>
> or whether I should place them in another directory like /var/log/tomcat.
>
> Is this possible, and/or preferred?
>
> I am new to Linux, but my understanding so far was that changing data like
> logfiles should not be under /usr/ but instead under /var/.  Is that a
> correct interpretation in this case?
>
> Thanks
> --

1. the log folder contains:
1) log output

By default java.util.logging (aka JULI) is used to write those logs,
though there is possibility to use log4j.

It is configured as described in
 http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

For JULI the configuration file is logging.properties

2) catalina.out, that is redirected stdout, strerr of
java process running the server

Look into the shell script that starts Tomcat. That is where the
redirection occurs.

2. I have configurations where log folder is stored in /var/log/... and the
log folder of Tomcat is simply a symbolic link to that location.

It works, and I think that would be one of the easiest ways to configure it.

3. If you are concerned about /usr vs. /var, you may want to pay attention
to the possibility of separating CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE

E.g., you may place conf, webapps, work etc. folders on /var, while bin,
common, server remain on /usr.

See RUNNING.txt in the distributive.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko