> From: Todd Hivnor [spambox_98...@yahoo.com]
> I would like to proactively avoid running out of heap
> space. I would like people get a "Server Too Busy"
> message, _before_ the heap is actually exhausted.

> I would rather serve 40 users well than 45 users
> poorly.

Rather than monitor memory, which is subject to GC whims as George points out,
I'd suggest monitoring the number of sessions in your application - find a
number of sessions you can live with, keep a (suitably synchronized) counter
that's incremented and decremented as sessions are created and destroyed, and
don't start new sessions if that counter is higher than your threshold.

- Peter