johnrock wrote:
I am going to be deploying a webapp on CentOS (Spring/Hibernate/Tomcat) that
is JSP based and has hardly any static content..I am planning to start out
with 1 tomcat server and 1 db server.

I think that I do not need an apache front end and can simply run tomcat
standalone. Is this a bad idea?
I think it's a good idea.

The two options I am considering are:
1. Have a firewall redirect traffic directly to my tomcat server on port
8080
or
2. Have a firewall route traffic to an apache instance on port 80 running on
the same machine as tomcat server. Apache would then function merely to
redirect requests to tomcat on port 8080.
Use JSVC to run tomcat on Port 80 without having it run as root. Unpack the source for jsvc from the bin directory and compile it.

Which is a better idea? Or are neither preferred? At this point I do not
want to run a third machine just for apache, but would it cause performance
decrease to run apache on the same machine as my main tomcat server? Is it
neccessary ?

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.