On May 21, 2009, at 10:28 PM, J. Zimmerman wrote:

I am just getting started with Tomcat and have been asked to take on the administration of our Tomcat servers at our college. I am not one of the
developers, just the administrator.  So far everything has gone pretty
smoothly except for getting everything to run proxied via Apache (at least
the way we would like it).

Our requirement is for Tomcat to deliver the application through
http://hostname:8080/appname and/or ajp://hostname:8009/appname.  This
happens by default and works well. However, we want end users to access the applications via port 443 or 80 and we are doing this via Apache. I can
make this work via proxy_ajp and proxy_http so that something like
http://hostname/appname works just fine.

The wrench in the works is that we want to do virtual hosting through Apache and not have the appname appended to it. The Apache virtual hosted URL's
will be the ones exposed to the public.

For example if we developed an application called "mycoolapp" and we were deploying it at a website of the same name we would want the application to
run at http://mycoolapp.com and not http://mycoolapp.com/mycoolapp.

I have hacked together several different configs suggested through many different pieces of documentation and forums, but just can't seem to get it.

Our setup is as follows.....

Server: Ubuntu 8.04 (all updates)
Java: Latest JDK download from Sun
Tomcat: Latest version 6 official download (configs are near defaults, I
have revereted to the default server.xml)
Apache: Latest version 2.2 via Ubuntu repositories. proxy_ajp, proxy_http,
and rewrite enabled.

If anyone has suggestions or a working example any help is greatly
appreciated.

ProxyPass / http://hostname:8080/mycoolapp

    -or-

ProxyPass / ajp://hostname:8080/mycoolapp

Assuming hostname:8080 is the Tomcat server

No need for rewrite at all.