Duh!  Thanks.  I think I need to go away for a long something or other.
Have a good MemDay weekend.
Ken

On May 22, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: Ken Bowen [mailto:kbo...@als.com]
Subject: Re: SSI configuration

  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>

The above is unnecessary on Tomcat, since index.jsp is declared as a welcome file in the global conf/web.xml. However, you may well want to specify index.shtml as an additional welcome file.

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>ssi</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.shtml</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

Note the mapping; the SSI servlet is called *only* for references to resources that end in .shtml.

In index.html

That needs to be index.shtml, otherwise the SSI servlet doesn't get involved.

- Chuck