> From: johnrock [mailto:johnpi...@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Apache Portable Runtime ?
>
> Given that, is it still a preferred idea to install APR?

Your best bet is to measure the performance of your webapp with and without
APR.  Since you're not using SSL and have limited static content, I suspect you
won't see much of a difference.

> Is installing the APR considered a 'must do' for anyone
> looking to maximize the performance of Tomcat in production?
> Or is this something in the category of 'not neccessary/
> adviseable unless you need it'?

I'd put it in the latter category, unless you measure a noticeable throughput
gain with it.  Including APR does reduce portability, since you'll need a
different native library for each platform, including just going from a 32- to
64-bit JVM.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.