After a bit of tinkering, I uninstalled JDK 1.6 u13 and:
1. Installed JDK 1.6 u14
Release notes:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/6u14.html
Download link:
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/viewproductdetail-start?productref=jdk-6u14-oth-...@cds-cds_developer
2. Uninstalled Tomcat 6.0.18 and re-installed, using default JVM (within UI)

Tomcat is up and running.  Joy :)  My only problem is that this seemed to
have "confused" Eclipse 3.4.2, because it's displaying ugly messages on
startup, however, I guess that's another issue.

Thanks,

Jonathan