Have you already measured the performance of your application and
determined that caching the rendered pages is the appropriate thing to
do - ie how have you determined that database access is the bottleneck?

If not, caching page content may just hide a multitude of performance
related sins.

JPA's built-in caching may already provide enough in the way of
performance improvements to make an additional caching layer pointless.

Is the database on a different machine or the same one and are you
clustering Tomcat?

You're probably worrying unnecessarily.