We have tomcat 6 (Tomcat/6.0.16) installed on a Redhat ES4 server in a
production environment (although it's not being depended-upon at this
moment; we're in the installation phase).
I installed it via the tarball binary, not from an RPM.

When I deployed a WAR that was running bug-free on my own localhost
(debian sid, but also Tomcat 6.0.16), there were several errors.

First, Tomcat refused to load my jQuery library (jQuery latest;
1.3.2).  I considered perhaps there were some bad characters in the
jQuery library because it was the /only/ file Tomcat would fail to
load, so I downgraded jQuery, which actually solved the problem.
Then, however, when I redeployed, I got the same exact error on the
background image for my web app.  And also on index.jsp.  There are
probably other problematic files, but I felt I could stop there...

So I'm now convinced the problem is Tomcat; it never should have had
problems with jQuery either, as I said it ran just fine on localhost.

The full text of the stack trace follows ... it doesn't mean anything
to me, though.  Seems to be a red herring.

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
org.apache.jasper.JasperException
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:522)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:410)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:337)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:266)
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
        at
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:286)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:447)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)