I currently start Tomcat with the Procrun Service Manager.

It's an app called Apache Tomcat Properties with  six tabbed forms: general,
log on, logging, java, startup and shutdown.

To start Tomcat I press the start button in the general tab.

I want to experiment with security, lock down a directory so that only
authenticated users can get the pages, etc.

The doc says I need to:
Starting Tomcat With A SecurityManager

  Once you have configured the catalina.policy file for use
  with a SecurityManager, Tomcat can be started with a SecurityManager in
  place by using the "-security" option:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina start -security      (Windows)

Unfortunately, I need more specific instructions on how to do this (not the
policy file changes, just the start part.)  I'm on Windows XP Pro SP3

Please and thank you.