2009/6/9 Bill Barker <wbar...@wilshire.com>:

>> Incidentally I discovered you can't <welcome-file-list> by having an empty
>> element, you have to have at least one <welcome-file> in there or the
>> default servlet will use the one in $CATALINA_BASE/conf/web.xml .  Bug or
>> feature?
>
> I'd say an enhancement rather than a bug, since you can always do (as you
> have discovered):
>  <welcome-file-list>
>      <welcome-file>index.doesnotexist</welcome-file>
>  </welcome-file-list>
>
> For the benifit of the archives, this of course assumes that you have set
> replaceWelcomeFiles="true" in the <Context ... /> element.

The above said about "replaceWelcomeFiles" is wrong.  That property
is not documented and is used by Tomcat internals only. It is automatically
switched on before processing a web.xml file, and thus its initial value, as
specified in context file, does not matter.

The welcome files list in a web application always replaces the default one.

In web-app_2_3.dtd there is
<!ELEMENT welcome-file-list (welcome-file+)>
so the list cannot be empty.

In 2.4 and 2.5 schemas the minOccurs attribute for "welcome-file"
element is 1 (the default value), so the list cannot be empty either.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko