From: Len Popp [mailto:len.p...@gmail.com]
Subject: Re: Reading POSTed data

Ah, but section 3.1.1 says that POST data is only available through
getParameter if the content type is application/x-www-form-urlencoded.

You're right, I missed that.  There must be something else getting at the
request before the servlet has a chance to read it.

Looking at the code now, it doesn't look like it.

Is there any other code that calls getParameter or a related method
before you call getInputStream? Maybe in a filter?

What about the RequestDumperValve?

I'm honestly not sure (being an entire day into tomcat servlets), but I don't believe so.

Full code:

public class Frontend extends HttpServlet {

public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
                PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
                InputStream in = request.getInputStream();
                response.setContentType("text/xml");
                response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
                response.setStatus(HttpServletResponse.SC_OK);

                while (in.available() > 0)
                        out.write(in.read());
        }
}

The document that tomcat sends back has the content type set properly, but a Content-Length of 0.