"A. Rothman" <amich...@amichais.net> wrote in message
news:965599.49.1245887723160.javamail.sys...@endor...

> Yes, I've compared both the generated java files and corresponding
> compiled class files from when it works and when it doesn't work - they
> are identical. I think the problem is not with the bean sources, jsps,
> configuration, permissions, file locations, classpaths, etc. - because
> all of these remain constant, and as such do not explain why it would
> work ok in the cases where it does. You're right about having to set up
> tomcat from scratch from the official sources to be certain it's not the
> distro's fault - but here too the chances of a distro's repackaging of
> tomcat causing a bizarre edge case in classloading during initialization
> seem slim.
>
> I'm inclined to think this may actually be a tomcat bug - since the
> errors are influenced by which jsp is the first one loaded by tomcat (a
> user-generated race condition of sorts), and not by their content or
> configuration. To be certain, I'd have to set it up for a debug, which
> I'll do (along with running it from the original sources first, of
> course) if there is no other choice, as it can be very time consuming. I
> just thought I'd run it by the experts here to see if there's some known
> issue, or something about the tomcat internals which I'm unaware of, or
> just something obvious and silly I've missed.

It actually looks a lot like a permissions issue, since the Bean class will
be loaded in trusted (Tomcat) code when the page recompiles and will then be
available for everyone else to use.  You could try setting up a copy of your
Tomcat (on, say a developement box) that doesn't use a SecurityManager and
see if you can reproduce the problem there.

You might also get some more information by setting:
org.apache.catalina.loader.level=FINEST
in your conf/logging.properties file on a system using a SecurityManager
(very much not recommended for an active production system).