David,

Thank you to 'pid' and yourself. I spent quite a few hours
going over the source HTML from Firefox and fixed some
problems (e.g. an tag with no closing tag) and fixed some
inefficient code. I was getting very  inconsistent results
and went through a number of iterations. This was to
follow pid's suggestion.

Then started to respond to your suggestion about the tablib
libraries, etc. I have a number of jsp files using include
statements. Lo and behold, I did not have a taglib directive!
I'm embarrassed to say this, since I know better. I really
thought I had already done it, but I guess at the time I was
going to add the directive, I got distracted and failed to do it.

Having said that, I'm a bit surprised that there was not
error message generate by  tomcat about seeing a reference
to <c:choose> and <c:xxx> with no definition available.

Thanks, again.

Jim

David Smith wrote:
Following up on what Pid suggested, when you look at the output (view
source in the browser), can you see the <c:choose> and <c:when> tags
still present?  Can you offer us a little more info like what you have
declared for taglibs at the top of this jsp and what's in your webapp's
WEB-INF/lib folder?

--David

Jim Anderson wrote:
 3   This is a JSP issue. I have unsuccessfully searched for a JSP
 4   support forum so I figured I will start here since the Tomcat
 5   container processes JSP. If this is question is inappropriate,
 6   I apologize. If you can point me to a better forum, please do.

 8   The environment is Tomcat 6.0.18 on Linux using Firefox 2.0.

I'm writing my first JSP program and I'm having a problem
with the <c:when> construct. I have a bean that contains
a property named 'midContent'. When the program segment
is entered, the bean, BFSInfo, has it's midContent property
set to 'page2'. The when tag test evaluates to false, yet
the code within the when tag is executed. Here is the
code segment:

18         <c:choose>
19         <c:when test="${BFSInfo.midContent == 'page1'}">
20             T/F = ${BFSInfo.midContent == 'page1'}
21             <br></br>
22             INFO EL is ${BFSInfo.midContent}
23         </c:when>
24         ...
25         </c:choose>

When run, the lines inside the 'when' construct print the
following on the web page:

31     T/F = false
32     INFO EL is page2

The test expression of line 19 is evaluated again at
line 20 and the result is 'false' as shown at line 31.
The output produced by line 22 is shown at
line 32 and confirms that the value of midContent is 'page2'.
Can someone explain why the code inside
the '<c:when>' tag is executed when
the test on line 19 appears to be evaluating to false?

Thanks you in advance.

 Jim Anderson