Also I'm not sure whether you may want to do it, but configureme
(https://configureme.dev.java.net) allows you to configure 200
instances of your app in one war file). You specify configurations for
specific environments (and, most notably, configuraiton deltas), and
set the environment in the installation itself (with one property in
catalina.sh).

Actually, configureme was built to support configuration delta for
multiple systems (live,test,integration,dev) of one application in one
company but it will do your job also. If the application administrator
on customers site wants to manage the config files himself, you can
put the config files in a directory outside of tomcat installation and
simply add this directory to the classpath. This way you can update
the app without modifying the settings.

regards
Leon

P.S. feel free to contact me off list, if you want to try it out and
need help with it.