What is the business requirement that forces you to log such information?
What is the cost of a false positive?

Some time ago I experimented with AccessLogValve, trying to download
some large file, to see how it logs aborted downloads.

I used Firefox and pressed cancel as soon as "Save As" dialog was
displayed. The result is that the log showed about 40-50 Mb of
transfered data by that time (the whole file was about 70 Mb), thus
the browser was caching the result while displaying the dialog.

Also, are you going to support resuming aborted downloads?
Are you dealing with download "accelerators" (that try to download the
same file in several pieces).
You will know which byte ranges were requested, but the size of each
piece will be less than the whole file.