I agree with what David writes below, and in addition
1. There should be no ":" after $JAVA_OPTS.  It is not a classpath.
2. The preferred way is create a setenv.sh file, either in
$CATALINA_BASE\bin or in $CATALINA_HOME\bin
3. For setting these properties there is an easier way: add the following line
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false
to the catalina.properties file

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko