The Tomcat is currently up and running - all I've done is just set the
Xms256m.
I already sent all the log information I was able to collect on the debug
level, see my first post.
Unfortunately, the JVM is an old one - JRE 1.4.2 (with all the extensions
needed to run Tomcat 5.5.17). It works just fine, I tested it.

@Andre: Yes, you are correct (and it's not nitpicking). Plus the Windows
service calls the Tomcat executable which invokes the JVM via JNI (if I'm
not mistaken).
It may be the case you are describing, but shouldn't it tell something like:
"Not enough memory" or "Cannot allocate Java Heapspace" or something like
that?

Jiri