Hi,

I am currently running tomcat 5.0.12 and want to upgrade to 5.5.27. I also have java 1.4 running on an old version of linux (redhat 7.3) and I have installed the compatibility package in my tomcat home directory. I can start and stop the server just fine.

The trouble I am running into is in precompiling my jsp's. I use ant 1.6.1 and I edited my build.xml to change the jasper2 task to point to the new version of TC. Upon running my jspcompile task in ant I get a bunch of errors (I suspect these have something to do with log4j?). It looks like every jsp produces one of these:

 [jasper2] java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
 [jasper2]     at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
 [jasper2]     at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:112)
 [jasper2]     at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:128)
[jasper2] at org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader.getResourceURL(AntClassLoader.java:903) [jasper2] at org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader$ResourceEnumeration.findNextResource(AntClassLoader.java:126) [jasper2] at org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader$ResourceEnumeration.<init>(AntClassLoader.java:88) [jasper2] at org.apache.tools.ant.AntClassLoader.findResources(AntClassLoader.java:869)
 [jasper2]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResources(ClassLoader.java:812)
 [jasper2]     at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResources(ClassLoader.java:808)
[jasper2] at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory$4.run(LogFactory.java:1388) [jasper2] at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

and with ant -v i get lines that look like this:
Ignoring Exception java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file reading resource org/apache/log4j/Logger.class from /home/tschumacher/sandbox/XMan/Build/classes/SynchronizedQueue.class

It looks like ant needs log4j but when I added it to the classpath for my jasper task it seemed to make no difference. I also tried "ant -lib path-to-log4j jspcompile" and I get a warning about not having configured a logger but same errors...
Thanks!
Tim