I'll just venture another explanation :
- considering that it seems that at least 50% of the posters here who use Apache httpd in front of Tomcat, end up proxying everything to Tomcat anyway.. - considering this problem happens on the login page, which users get - presumably - when they are not logged in yet..

- isn't the problem then that the images in question are in a server area that (also) requires authentication, and since the user at that point is not (yet) authenticated, he doesn't get the images ?
(probably getting instead other copies of the login pages for those links)
- which would explain that when the user is authenticated and presses the "reload" key, then he gets the images.

Adam Gordon wrote:
He shouldn't have to set this option. We're using the same configuration, load balanced apache servers and we don't have this configuration set.

Additionally, I think you can choose as to whether the session id is cookied vs appending to the request.

Unless....are you serving up static images off your apache server?

--adam