Sorry about that.
Yes i have a index page in the restricted area that has links to other
restricted jsps. The Logs are not reporting anything. How do you mean encode
your urls? I haven't set a time out in the web.xml file so its using the
default. The time between clicks is usually about 1-2 seconds. Here is some
of my web.xml file:
<security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>users</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/add/*</url-pattern>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <auth-constraint>
            <role-name>user</role-name>
            <role-name>admin</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

    <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>admin</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/admin/*</url-pattern>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <auth-constraint>
            <role-name>admin</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

    <login-config>
        <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
        <form-login-config>
            <form-login-page>/login.jsp</form-login-page>
            <form-error-page>/login-error.jsp</form-error-page>
        </form-login-config>
    </login-config>

     <security-role>
        <role-name>admin</role-name>
    </security-role>
    <security-role>
        <role-name>user</role-name>
    </security-role>
I am using the default realm which i know works.
Dean