I'm back to work on thursday so I won't be able to try any suggested fixes
till then.  I'll let you know.

Off topic is it wrong to reply to two emails like this in one mail (for
threading purposes?)

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:

> On 24/08/2009 16:09, Wesley Acheson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>        <Host name="applications.westest.example.com"
>>             appbase="/home/servers/applications.westest"
>>             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>>             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>>       </Host>
>>

> Assuming that you've copied and pasted, set "appBase" not "appbase"

Wow good spot. I wouldn't have noticed maybe this is causing the problem.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Wes,
>
> On 8/24/2009 12:18 PM, Wesley Acheson wrote:
> > Comments below.  The one thing that may be unusual about my server.xml
> (see
> > initial email) is the fact that server.xml is specifying docRoots that
> are
> > parellel with my tomcat installation not in a sub folder. I've a sneaking
> > suspicion that this would fix the problem but I don't want to do that.
>
> Aah, yes. This:
>
> >       <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
> >             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
> >             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
> >       </Host>
>
> Plus this:
>
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <Context docBase="${catalina.home}/webapps/manager"
> >          privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"
> > antiJARLocking="false">
> > </Context>
>
> Will lead to confusion. Your apps will be deployed at least twice, maybe
> more. Why don't you use just use the manager webapp from where it gets
> installed by default (in CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps/manager)?

Its being deployed once per host.  I need more than one because the standard
manager install only works for one host.

This is similar to the instructions at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/manager-howto.html

A default Tomcat installation includes the manager. To add an instance of
the Manager web application Context to a new host install the
manager.xmlcontext configuration file in the
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname] folder. Here is an example:

<Context path="/manager" debug="0" privileged="true"
         docBase="/usr/local/kinetic/tomcat6/server/webapps/manager">
</Context>

If you have Tomcat configured to support multiple virtual hosts (websites)
you would need to configure a Manager for each.

> > Honestly my first version of the manager.xml was a simple copy out of a
> host
> > created with host manager.  I thought this was the easiest way to get a
> > working config, without being limited to the limitations of host-manager
> > (Hosts not persisted after restart). It had those attributes so my file
> > does.
>
> I would use the manager.xml file unchanged, except for its path (and
> possibly file name), of course.

Thats what I did a direct copy. I only started changing it after I ran into
the problem even then I don't think I changed it much.

> > I'm trying to deploy 3 managers but I focused on 1,
> > cashier.westest.example.com
>
> Okay. I so you should have (as you already do):
>
> >       <Host name="cashier.westest.example.com"
> >             appbase="/home/servers/cashier.westest"
> >             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
> >             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
> >       </Host>
>
> Then, copy the stock manager.xml into
> CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/cashier.westest.example.com/
>
> Wouldn't that do it?

Thats where I ran into problems

> > I'm pretty sure its this one because I get the logged messages when I
> change
> > the manager.xml Its the only one being reloaded in that instance.  Or am
> > wrong with that?
>
> It's probably being loaded twice because autoDeploy="true" for your
> "localhost" <Host>.

Sorry this is a miss-communication on my behalf. What I meant was not that
its being deployed twice but that I was sure that tc only reloaded the
context that had been altered.