On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Martin Gainty<mgai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> you can enter a documentation change to correct either
> 1)duplicate behaviour of ApplicationContext.xml <Resource> by web.xml
> <resource-ref>
> 2)or make the documentation a bit clearer on what is required and what is
> optional

That's not a bad idea really, but before I feel qualified to make such
a proposal I first need to understand it myself ;)

> mg>i interpret this as <Context><Resource> parameter is mandatory

Hmmm, now you're talking. IF those attributes on <Context><Resource>
are mandatory, then what on earth is the use of resource-ref? Does
Tomcat even look at that element? I guess so, but if resource-ref is
completely optional and contains no new information in no possible
use-cases, then you could just as well be instructed to put a file
called "nobody-reads-this.txt" in your root and enter those values
there in free-format, couldn't you?

There has to be some use of that resource-ref element. All the Tomcat
examples and tutorials instruct you to create this element. Someone
really badly wants you to use it, yet it seemingly has not function
whatsoever. Something just doesn't add up, or maybe it's just me...