David Smith wrote:

Pure speculation on my part, but maybe the OP is looking for log rotation.

Nah, much too simple. And so are syslog and other Windows Event logs.
Neither did the OP tell us on which platform this would be, nor really even if it is related to Tomcat (though I admit that catalina is a clue).

I was rather thinking of a new file open mode, where one could say "I want this file to never exceed 10000 lines". Then as you append line 10001, line 1 gets popped off to nowhere automatically. Right now we have "read", "write", and "append", and we've had them for many years. Any proposals for a new name for this new mode ?