Hi,

I have a 6.0.20 Tomcat binary distribution downloaded and untarred
directly from the Tomcat site. My system is Ubuntu 8.04 with Java
version 1.5.0_16. When I configure the manager role precisely as
directed in the 401 Error message:

<role rolename="manager"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="s3cret" roles="manager"/>

I am still unable to access the manager -- the basic auth dialog box
just keeps coming back. I have restarted Tomcat after making this
change. Looking at the documentation, I see discussion of MemoryRealm,
but judging by the comments in server.xml this information is out of
date: Tomcat is instead using UserDatabaseRealm. I can't find any
solutions in the Tomcat wiki, mailing lists, or the internet at large.
There is nothing that looks relevant or non-routine in the logs.

Could someone please explain what is going on here, and what I need to
do to fix it?

Bruce