On 09.09.2009 19:44, keeplearning wrote:

> I have apache 2.2.3. Not sure how to find the tomcat version. We use
> mod_proxy_ajp connector. During the test, I see high CPU usage and load on
> both appservers. So, I don't think it's the issue of everything going to one
> appserver.
>
> With what i read around, increasing maxClients does not help much. Ofcourse
> I will try that but not that hopeful.

I don't know which is your platform, bot e.g. on Unix/Linux type
platforms you can use ps with additional flags (e.g. -L) to list CPU
usage per thread. That way you can first identify, whether your high cpu
usage comes from one special thread or is distributed over lots of
threads. Then you can do a couple of thread dumps (kill -QUIT), which go
to catalina.out, and check, which of the threads were the ones, that had
the high cpu load (and what they were doing).

Depending on the platform you might have to convert the decimal thread
number from ps to a hex number to compare with the tid or nid in the
thread dumps.

If you are using the tcnative connector, then make sure to use the
latest version. It's the only peace in Tomcat I remember that produced
high cpu load as a result of a bug. It's much more likely though, that
the reason lies somewhere within your application.

Regards,

Rainer