Thanks guys, that seems to solve the problem.
I also tried Mark's DisableReuse and it works fine, but I reverted since the timeouts solution works well and looks better.

Another resource I used to get a better understanding of the issue was http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-15866

Thanks again
Ioannis

André Warnier wrote:
John Cherouvim wrote:

Is there a possibility that there is a problem with the fact that I use:
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
  ServerLimit        1024
  MaxClients         1024

and default <Connector> settings?
<Connector port="8010" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" address="127.0.0.1" />

Do those 2 need to have the same thread count (MaxClients=maxThreads)?

I think you're on the right track there.
See the previous response from Mark :

My guess is that all of your Tomcat AJP threads are tied up with idle
httpd threads.

.. doing nothing.

Ioannis Cherouvim
Software Engineer