From: Bruce Wayne [mailto:chur...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:58 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

What's "too many classes" ? I have JConsole running, and I see that
across
my 8 apps on one server, 14,000 classes are loaded. Heap usage is around
1GB.With the settings below, I am not seeing PermGen errors as of yet,
although it's too early to tell, I will have to let the app run for 24
hours.
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-server
-Xms1024m -Xmx3012m -XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=1024m
-XX:PermSize=512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=1024m"

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-VM/html/memleaks.html
> That is specifically about the error Bruce is seeing.
> But, yes, it appears he's loading too many classes, or reloading them,
> or something.
> Something else Bruce can look into is if his apps are using common jar
> files that can be loaded into Shared space.
> Jeff

PROPRIETARY