Thanks to Mark and Chris for all suggestions.
I thing that a will follow th Chris suggestion to re-architect my session.

I was attracted by this piece of code in

Re: Tomcat Realm Auto-Relogin after Session-Timeout Problem
lynckmeister
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 06:32:43 -0800

public class SessionTimeoutFilter implements Filter {

        private final Log logger =
LogFactory.getLog(SessionTimeoutFilter.class);

        private String timeoutPage = "timeout.html";

        public void init(FilterConfig filterConfig) throws ServletException
{
        }

        public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse
response,
                        FilterChain filterChain) throws IOException,
ServletException {

                if ((request instanceof HttpServletRequest)
                                && (response instanceof
HttpServletResponse)) {
                        HttpServletRequest httpServletRequest =
(HttpServletRequest) request;
                        HttpServletResponse httpServletResponse =
(HttpServletResponse) response;

                        // is session expired control required for this
request?
                        if
(isSessionControlRequiredForThisResource(httpServletRequest)) {
                                String requestedID =
httpServletRequest.getRequestedSessionId();

                                // is session invalid?
                                HttpSession session =
httpServletRequest.getSession();
                                String sID = session.getId();
                                String nochmalID =
httpServletRequest.getQueryString();

                                // ok this is allways false , means the
session
is allways valid. sure
it is, but its a new one !
                                boolean isSessionInValid = (requestedID !=
null)&&
!httpServletRequest.isRequestedSessionIdValid();
                                Object testObject =
session.getAttribute("ISVALID");

                                // here I tried some things... the
isSessionInValid flag doesnt help b/c
the session is allways valid
                                // the testObject is allways null b/c if the
user comes from the
loginpage the user is not set in the first time
                                // with the code like this, we're allways
redirected in an constant
loop.
                                // besides that I think redirection is not
the
right way to handle , I
mean,
                                // i feel the right solution would recognize
that the session is not in
a proper state and than
                                // delete the request wich allways causes in
that crash. but how? and
wich restored information exactly is the wrong one ?
                                if (testObject == null /*&&
isSessionInValid*/
) {
                                        String timeoutUrl =
httpServletRequest.getContextPath()
                                                        + "/" +
getTimeoutPage();
                                        logger
                                                        .info("session is
invalid! redirecting to timeoutpage : "
                                                                        +
timeoutUrl);

and in particular:

                String requestedID =
httpServletRequest.getRequestedSessionId();

                HttpSession session = httpServletRequest.getSession();
                String sID = session.getId();

so i thought that was possible to 'trigger' a re-logon after timeout plus
the reference of both expired session (requestedID) and new session (sID);
if there was a way to copy some attributes from the old session to the new
one i solved my problem.

But seems to me that the old session non more exists at this point of the
request flow. Is this true?

Alberto.