I'm running Tomcat 6.0.18 on Debian Linux (Lenny). Tomcat is configured to
start automatically through the init process, but it hangs using 95+% of the
CPU and won't respond to /etc/init.d/tomcat stop. I have to kill the
process. I've tried manually starting it as root with /etc/init.d/tomcat
start and with /opt/tomcat/bin/startup.sh but the same thing happens. The
last entry in catalina.<date>.log in all cases is INFO: Overriding property
struts.configuration.xml.reload old value false new value:true

However, if I cd to the directory /op/tomcat/bin and run ./startup.sh from
there Tomcat starts normally. Has anyone got an idea as to what might be
going on?

Regards