"Mark Thomas" <ma...@apache.org> wrote in message
news:4aba56f3.3000...@apache.org...
> John McCleskey wrote:
>> I'm trying to start ASF Tomcat on an iSeries running Webfacing, but my
>> server is throwing a java exception in the java log file. The error is:
>>
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>
>> org/apache/tomcat/context/AutoSetup.engineInit(Lorg/apache/tomcat/core/ContextManager;)V+86
>> (AutoSetup.java:118)
>>
>> org/apache/tomcat/core/ContextManager.init()V+55
>> (ContextManager.java:444)
>>
>> org/apache/tomcat/startup/Tomcat.execute([Ljava/lang/String;)V+128
>> (Tomcat.java:201)
>>
>> org/apache/tomcat/startup/Tomcat.main([Ljava/lang/String;)V+8
>> (Tomcat.java:247)
>>
>> org/apache/tomcat/service/StartupThread.run()V+6 (JNIEndpoint.java:216)
>>
>> I'm using java 1.3.
>
> Those classes are not in any of the current codebases. At a guess you
> are using Tomcat 3. That hasn't been supported for many years. You need
> to upgrade to a supported version.

+1
This stack trace doesn't even correspond to Tomcat 3.3.x.  It looks like it
is Tomcat 3.2.x, which hasn't been supported in a really long time (like
from about the time that the first Tomcat 4.0 came out).

Of course, JNIEndpoint died with Tomcat 3.3.x (but support for it in mod_jk
died out much earlier).  So add mod_jk to the components to modernize.