Peter Crowther wrote:

and Tomcat in general.  Symlinks in webapps will not work by default -
look up "allowLinking" to allow them, and be Very Careful if you do as
I seem to recall that undeploying a webapp with a symlink in it can
delete all the files in the area that you've linked to.

As things happen, I just spent 2 hours this morning wondering why an old webapp that worked fine under Tomcat 4.1, didn't work anymore when moved to Tomcat 5.5. Until I saw your message above, and added a context.xml in the webapp with allowLinking=true. It seems that the old Tomcat 4.1 had such a <Context> element in server.xml, which disappeared in the move to 5.5.

(catalina_base)/webapps/myapp/META-INF/context.xml :
<Context allowLinking="true" />

did it.

Thanks.