Does this issue depend on Firefox version? (which version you are
using?) Is it reproducible on different client PCs running the same
Firefox version? Maybe different Firefox settings? Is TLS protocol
enabled in Firefox (usually it is)?

>From description, this issue is not dependent on your application. Can
you reproduce it with default applications that Tomcat comes with, on
latest Tomcat 5.5.28 or 6.0.20, even if you cannot run your
application on that versions?

Is it reproducible with self-signed certificates? Is it reproducible
on other operating systems?

The set of ciphers in JDK 1.5 and JDK 1.6 might be different. That is,
the browser and the server might not agree on what cipher to use.
(though why there is the "internal_error" alert ?)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko